Saturday 17 March 2012

Interview with Kentaro!!

Kentaro!!
When did you start dancing?
At the age of 13. I grew up watching Michael Jackson and Madonna during my high school days who were my major inspiration then.

You combine lots of styles in your dance. What style do you identify with most?
Hiphop. At 23 I started choreographing my own pieces. I didn't have any formal training in jazz or contemporary but everything became a part of my dance vocabulary from my experience in watching.

How are hip hop and contemporary dance received in Japan?
Very few people watch contemporary dance in Japan. Hip-hop, however, is very popular among youngsters who usually perform and learn it in dance studios. There are hardly any street performances of hip hop. There are many night club street dance competitions in Japan. I used to participate in hip hop dance competitions in the night clubs before I started choreographing in a serious way.

You are a dancer who also sings. What is the recurring theme, if any, in your songs?
My songs are very depressing. Mostly all of them being about a broken heart.

Do you see any influences of Japanese traditional performance forms in your dance?
No, I do not see any influences of Kabuki or Noh in my dance.

Who would you say has been your greatest influence or inspiration?
The German dancer and choreographer, Pina Bausch whose work inspired me to produce something of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment